|Stocks and ETFs|| $9.99 ($7.99 if making 150+ trades per quarter)|
|Stocks and ETFs broker assisted|| $34.99|
|Options|| $9.99 + $0.75 per contract ($7.99 + $0.75 if making 150+ trades per quarter)|
|Mutual funds|| $19.99 |
|Futures contracts|| $2.99 per contract, per side + fees|
|Fixed Income||markup or markdown and any transaction fee will be included in the price quoted|
|Forex|| No commissions. Etrade receives compensation through the bid/ask spread.|
|Bonds||$1 per bond (minimum $10, maximum $250) for online secondary market trades. Includes Agency bonds, Corporate bonds, Municipal bonds, Brokered CDs, Pass-thrus, CMOs, Asset Backed Securities.|
|Investments|| stocks, bonds, mutual funds, futures, forex, fixed income, options, ETFs|
|Etrade minimum deposit to open account|| $500 for non-retirement cash account, $0 for retirement cash account, $2,000 for margin account|
Best International Investor Brokerage Firm
If you are a non-U.S. investor wanting to invest in U.S. stock market and open an account at an U.S.-based brokerage firm, your search might be frustrating. Most companies
either don't accept foreign countries investors or have very unclear information on requirements about which non-U.S. clients they accept.
Below we will review one American company that welcomes international investors - Etrade.
Etrade is one of the largest and best known discount online stock brokers in the United States. It has been in business for over 20 years. The firm allows clients
to invest in almost all imaginable investment products: stocks, options, mutual funds, over 30,000 bonds, futures, covered calls, ETFs and others.
Unlike companies that charge international, non-US investors much higher fees than Unites States based clients, Etrade provides the same pricing for all customers.
It provides clients with free investing and trading education as well as with free independent research from a number of leading companies.
Best International Online Broker Advantages
- No account maintenance or inactivity fees
- Large and well established company
- Powerful trading tools
- No IRA account fees, and no minimums with electronic statements and confirmations
- Low minimums to open accounts: $500 for cash account, $0 for retirement cash account, $2,000 for margin account
- Investing advice is available by phone or in person
- No surcharges on large orders or penny stocks
- Great research amenities from S&P, MorningStar, Thompson Reuters, Credit Suisse, and Smart Consensus
- Access to trading on 40 foreign exchanges
- Free streaming quotes
- Very broad selection of products: 8,000 mutual funds, every ETF sold, over 30,000 bonds, securities from 77 international markets, 1,300 no-load, no-transaction fee mutual funds, and 90+ commission-free ETFs
We recommend Etrade as a top online stock trading account for international, non-U.S. citizens investors (foreign countries residents).
Read detailed Etrade review.
This article was updated on 7/23/2015.