#1 Rated Best Online Broker in 2013
#1 Rated Online Broker Commissions and Fees
|Stocks and ETFs|| $9.99|
|Stocks and ETFs broker assisted|| $49.99|
|Stocks and ETFs interactive voice response (IVR) telephone system|| $34.99|
|Options|| $9.99 + $0.75 per contract|
|No-load mutual funds|| $49.99|
|Treasuries at auction|| $25|
|All other bonds and CMOs, CDs|| on a net yield basis|
|Futures|| $3.50 per contract (inclusive of exchange fees)|
|Investments|| stocks, mutual funds, options, ETFs, bonds, CDs, UITs, futures, and forex|
|TD Ameritrade\TDA minimum deposit to open account|| $0 for cash account, $2,000 for margin account|
|Fees||TD Ameritrade fees|
#1 Rated Online Broker Pros
- No surcharges on penny stocks, large orders, or after-hours trading
- Large and well known company with 126 local branches
- Two excellent trading platforms: ThinkOrSwim and Trade Architect
- Practice trading without risking your own money using paperMoney
- See what other traders are doing on myTRADE trader community
- Free IRA accounts
- No maintenance or inactivity fees
- Free streaming quotes, including Level II
- Largest selection of independent, third-party research from 12 firms (Standard & Poor's, Morningstar, Jaywalk, TheStreet, etc.)
- 100+ ETFs with no commissions
- Large number of mutual funds - over 13,000 available; 2,500 NTF (no-transaction-fee) funds
- Free DRIP: dividend reinvestment plan
#1 Rated Online Broker Cons
- At $9.99 for stocks and ETFs and $49 for mutual funds, commission rates are relatively high
- The website is sometimes very slow on high--volume days
- High margin rates
Best Stock Broker Review
TD Ameritrade is one of the best-known and largest online stock brokers in the country, and it has been in business for
over 35 years. Unlike most other brokerage firms, TD Ameritrade does not have surcharges on large orders, penny stocks, or
extended-hours trading. There are no maintenance or inactivity charges for all accounts.
The firm's IRA accounts don't have setup or annual fees. This is good news for retirement account holders, and it makes
the firm an excellent option for an IRA.
From its Trade Architect platform the company offers access to third-party affiliate myTRADE investor community, which allows
members to follow what other members are doing, share trades and ideas, and learn various investment strategies.
The company bought one of the best online brokers - ThinkOrSwim - and it has benefited greatly from this acquisition. Because of ThinkOrSwim's
excellent trading technology, TD Ameritrade now has the best trading platform for do-it-yourself investor in the industry.
In 2013 Barron’s magazine rated TD Ameritrade #1 for Beginner Investors, #1 for Long Term Investing,
and gave it top scores in the Mobile Trading, Range of Offerings, Research Amenities, Customer Service and Education categories. Kiplinger's Personal Finance
magazine ranked it #1 for IRA accounts. SmartMoney magazine gave it a 5-star rating (the highest available) for Banking Services,
Trading Tools and Research.
TD Ameritrade offers the best promotional offer for new customers among all brokerage firms. It is worth giving it a shot
for do-it-yourself (DIY) investor to have an access to all their great research amenities and trading tools.
This article was updated on 08/03/2013.