Cheapest stock trading commissions: online brokerage firm accounts offering the lowest trade costs (flat rate) for investors in 2015
TradeKing Low Trading Commissions
|Stocks and ETFs|| $4.95|
|Options|| $4.95 + $0.65 per contract|
|Mutual funds|| $9.95|
|Bonds|| $1 per bond with $10 minimum, $250 maximum|
|Certificates of Deposit (CDs)|| $24.95|
|Investments|| stocks, options, mutual funds, bonds, CDs, forex, treasuries, ETFs|
|TradeKing minimum deposit to open account|| $0 for cash account, $2,000 for margin account|
- Very low commissions
- No minimums, or maintenance or hidden fees
- Free real-time quotes
- Top-rated customer service
- Low margin rates
- Best online investor community
- Fee-free IRAs
- Free DRIPs (dividend reinvestment plans)
- Extensive educational resources
- Low cost professional portfolio management
- Additional $0.01 per share on the entire order for stocks priced at less than $2
- $50 annual inactivity fee if BOTH apply to an account(s):
- Combined account value of the household account(s) is less than $2,500
- No commission-charged trades have been executed in the account(s) during the last 12 months
- Shorter after-hours trading: 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm EST, instead of 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm EST
TradeKing is one of our favorite online brokers - we rated it one of the Top Brokerage Firms in last five years.
TradeKing does not have minimum account balance requirements or hidden fees. Beginners can place broker-assisted trades for the
same low price as online trades - $4.95, and can learn to trade and pick up investing ideas in the website's friendly trader community.
The 2012 merger of TradeKing with another popular discount broker - Zecco -
created the sixth largest brokerage house in the United States, with more than 500,000 total accounts. The new company offers by
far the lowest commissions among big brokerage firms.
TradeKing does not have IRA setup, maintenance, or annual fees. There is a $50 inactivity fee if
combined account value of the household account(s) is less than $2,500 AND
no commission-charged trades have been executed in the account(s) during the last 12 months.
Read full TradeKing Review.
Open Lowest Commissions Broker Account
Get $1,000 in Free Trade Commissions at TradeKing
Optionshouse Low Trading Commissions
|Stocks and ETFs|| $4.95|
|Stocks and ETFs broker assisted|| $29.95|
|Options||$4.95 + $0.50 per contract|
|Mutual funds|| $20|
|Investments|| stocks, options, mutual funds, bonds, ETFs|
|Optionshouse minimum deposit to open account|| $0 for cash account, $2,000 for margin account|
- Low commissions
- Free streaming quotes
- No fee IRA accounts
- No volume requirements, or maintenance or inactivity fees
- Free check-writing privileges
- Free DRIPs/Dividend Reinvestment (complete, non-fractional shares only)
- No surcharges for large orders or extended hours trading
- Low margin rates
- Free virtual trading
- For stocks priced $2 or less that are not options eligible, add $0.005 per share for the entire order (including OTCBB, Pink Sheets)
- Short after-hours trading: 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm EST, instead of 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm EST
Don't let the name fool you - Optionshouse is not just for options traders. The firm also provides good investment services and excellent prices
for stocks, ETFs, mutual funds, and bonds investors. Optionshouse offers some of the lowest flat-rate commissions on stocks and ETFs - just $4.95 per trade,
for unlimited shares. The company does not have minimum account balance, volume or minimum number of trades requirements to get these low rates.
Unlike TradeKing, there are no inactivity fees to worry about.
OptionsHouse’s margin rates are some of the best in the industry. Currently if a trader borrows over $1 million, the margin
rate is only 2.00%. The highest margin rate is 4% to borrow up to $49,999. The margin rates incrementally decrease from 6.50% to
2.00% depending on the amount the investor borrows over $50,000.
Unlike many other companies, the firm does not have additional fees on IRA accounts, extended hours trading, or large orders. There is, however,
$0.005 per share surcharge for stocks priced $2 or less that are not options-eligible. OptionsHouse also has shorter than usual after-hours trading
period: 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm EST instead of 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm EST.
Read full Optionshouse Review.
Trade Free For 60 Days when you Open a New OptionsHouse Account
This article was updated on 9/28/2015.